Note:This article provides steps for syncing Okta attributes to Simpplr. You must first have Okta enabled at the application level before performing the steps below. For information on how to initially set up Okta's SSO solution with Simpplr, click here.
Follow these steps to sync attributes from Okta to Simpplr using Simpplr's Okta API integration.
Enable Okta syncing
- Click on the user picture on the top right corner and Manage > Application.
- Go to Integrations > Single Sign on. Choose Okta from the list.
- Enter the URL of Okta Tenant (like https://companyname.okta.com).
- Paste the Okta API token. You can generate the Okta API token by going to your org's Okta admin account. From the Okta Admin Panel > Security > API menu, copy the token. Head back to Simpplr to paste it.
- In most cases, the Okta username format will be Salesforce account email*, but it can be changed. Click Save when finished.
- Back in your user menu, go to Manage > Apps & links.
- Select Okta under the Apps integration dropdown.
- Scroll down to the bottom and click Save.
- As the Salesforce System admin, go to Salesforce. In the Setup menu, type Remote into the Quick Find box. Choose Remote Site Settings. Then click New Remote Site.
- For Remote Site Name, enter “Okta”.
- For Remote Site URL, enter your org's Okta URL.
- Click Save.
Scenarios for syncing fields
All attributes are working, but changes are required for the manager attribute to sync. There are two possible scenarios you can run:
This is applicable if Active Directory is the source account from which you're syncing user data. If you check the Manager attribute in Okta profile for the user, this field will be blank. If you scroll down further, you'll see the manager attribute from Active Directory reads Distinguish Name of manager. You'll need to change this Distinguishing name to Manager email.
- Go to Directory > Profile Editor and look for Active Directory on the left hand side. Click Mappings.
- Ensure that changes are being made from from Active Directory to Okta. You can verify this by seeing the top.
- Scroll to Manager attribute.
- Add this function: getManagerUser("active_directory").email. This will convert the Manager DN to Manager email.
- Run the Full import from Active Directory to Okta.
Option 1: If Okta is the source account from which you're syncing user data, then you only need to ensure that you have the manager's email address in the Manager attribute.
Option 2: You can create a custom attribute called managerEmail (This is case sensitive). One of these attributes should be a manager email.
To add a new attribute:
- In Okta, from Directory > Profile Editor, find the Okta User (default) profile. Select Add Attribute
- Select the data type
- Enter the Display name as managerEmail
- Enter the Variable name. This can match the Display name
- Give the attribute a Description; something short but informative
- Click Save
Select Okta fields to sync from within Simpplr
Note:Any custom field in Okta can be mapped in Simpplr.
- Go to Simpplr, go to Manage > Manage application. Click People in Manage Application. Go to User Syncing.
- Change the Syncing Source from Salesforce to Okta.
- Check the attributes you want to sync from Okta like Title, Manager, etc.
Note:The Company field in Simpplr maps to the Organization field in Okta.
- For the Hire Date field, enter the Okta field name that contains the hire date. The date must be in YYYY-MM-DD format.
- If you want to add any custom field, scroll down to Sync additional fields, click Add Field.
- Enter the Okta field name in Field to Sync field.
- Enter the field name that you want to display in Simpplr in Label singular and Label plural.
- If you want to display the field in the People directory as one of the searchable filters, select the Display filter on people listing for this field checkbox.
- Scroll down to Save.
- To run the sync scheduler, go to Manage > Application > Setup > Schedulers.
- Select SchedulerSimpplrServices and click on the dropdown.
- Click Run now. This is scheduled to run overnight daily, but Run Now allows you to manually sync with Okta right away.