In this article we'll cover the step-by-step instructions for downloading and installing the data loader application on your computer.
You may need to gather your machine's specifications: OS Version, Architecture, (32 vs 64 bit) and Java version.
For our demo, we will install the data loader on a Windows OS - Video tutorial
- From the Setup screen in your Salesforce instance, use the Quick Find box to search data loader. Click Data Loader from the search results.
- Click whichever Download link is applicable to your system. A download will start.
- Click the applicable installation instructions link. Confirm the version of Zulu OpenJDK or Java required (usually version 11 or later).
- Click the link in the instructions (this will say for Windows or for MacOS).
- From the azul.com page, click Download now.
- Click the applicable .msi link from the list (.dmg file for MacOS). Open the file from your downloads folder.
- Follow the instillation instructions. Now you're ready to install the data loader zip file you downloaded earlier.
- Navigate to the dataloader_win.zip (or dataloader_mac.zip) folder and extract all.
- Run the install windows batch file. This will initiate a security alert. Authorize it. click more info, then choose Run anyway.
- This will open the system screen. Confirm the path you want the data loader installed to. Once the given path is correct, hit the Enter key. Write in the new location if you want it elsewhere.
- Type yes and hit the Enter key to create a start menu icon. Again, type yes and hit Enter to create a desktop icon.
- The data loader is now installed. Double click the data loader icon on your desktop to start using it. This will initiate a security alert. Authorize it and choose more info > Run anyway.
- After a few seconds, the data loader will appear.