HRs and hiring managers can easily flag onboarding content across sites without having to organize them manually. They can create an easy-to-follow path for new hires to obtain information needed to successfully onboard.
- Onboarding manager privilege
- Flag onboarding content
- New hire onboarding tour
- Onboarding content page
- Onboarding content in home and site feeds
- 30-day onboarding period
- Onboarding email digests and notifications
- Toggle onboarding on/off
App managers can grant Onboarding privilege to a list of users who can then flag/unflag content for onboarding, at both organization level and site level. These users are called Onboarding Managers.
To assign a new Onboarding Manager:
- Go to Manage > Application > Privileges.
- Scroll down to Onboarding. Under Users, add the people you want to give Manager permissions to. These users will be able to flag/unflag onboarding content.
App managers can also specify which sites are enabled for site admins to flag/unflag content as onboarding at the site level. All content flagged for onboarding is at the site level. Permission to add Onboarding content from Featured sites is always granted by default.
Site content managers, site managers, and owners of an onboarding-enabled site can flag/unflag any of that site's content for onboarding.
Onboarding Managers who have viewing access to a site can flag any content from that site for onboarding. If the site is public, the content can be flagged as organization-level onboarding content.
Onboarding managers can also switch any organization-level onboarding content to site-level. Or, they can promote site-level onboarding content to organization-level, if the site is public.
A user who has permission to view moderation history for a piece of content can view its onboarding history, as well as who flagged it for onboarding, by going to the Onboarding history tab.
- New hires will receive a welcome email from Simpplr on their first day that will redirect them to Simpplr home dashboard.
- On the home dashboard, new hires will be greeted with a welcome message. From there, they can kick-off the app tutorial tour (Quick-start tour).
- An Onboarding content screen is seen at the end of the Quick-start tour. This screen will be only visible if a user hasn’t seen it before AND the user is a new hire.
From my onboarding content screen, you can:
View a reading list of all onboarding content, including two types:
Org-level: all org-level onboarding content, only from sites you can access.
Site-level: all site-level onboarding content from sites where you're a member of.
View the current status (read/unread) of each onboarding content in the list, and the status will automatically update each time you visit the list.
A piece of onboarding content will be considered read when the user opens it. Unlike must-reads, there is no manual acknowledgement required.
The Onboarding tile is a tile type that app managers and site owners/managers can add to their home and site dashboards.
To add an Onboarding tile to a site or home dashboard:
- Click the Edit dashboard icon, then Add tile.
- Click the top button, Add pages, events & albums tiles.
- Choose the Onboarding tab and title your tile We recommend going with something like "Onboarding Content" just to make it clear. The tile will show all existing content that's been flagged as Onboarding. You can choose to show the content in Standard or Showcase layout.
The default locations where new hires can find and access onboarding content are:
- User menu > Onboarding > Onboarding content screen
- Home dashboard feed
- Site dashboard feed
- Site content tab
- Onboarding tile in home and site dashboards (if enabled by app manager and site owner/manager).
A new hire will have 30 days, from the date of joining, to read through the onboarding content available. After 30 days, the new hire will be considered a graduate, and:
- Will receive an in-app notification congratulating him/her on completing the onboarding period.
- The congratulatory message will be also displayed in onboarding content page and tile in home dashboard, along with the message: All onboarding content has been moved to your favorites.
- The Onboarding content section will be removed from both home and dashboard feeds.
- The congratulatory message in the onboarding content page and home dashboard tile will stay for 30 days after graduation, after which onboarding tile and onboarding option in the user menu will be auto-removed.
New hires will receive a mandatory weekly digest email that includes all unread onboarding content, upcoming onboarding events, and must-reads.
Toggle onboarding on/off
App managers can toggle on/off New Hire Onboarding in Manage App > Setup > Privileges > Onboarding. The feature is set to ON by default. If set to OFF, no one will be able to flag content for onboarding.
How does onboarding content get sorted for new hires?
Content is shown differently for new hires depending on their site membership. Org onboarding content is always shown at the top of the list, followed by specific-to-the-user site onboarding content.
Can I flag content from private sites to be onboarding material?
Content from private sites cannot be added for users who are not made members of the site. Only new hires who are members of the private site will be shown its onboarding content if flagged.
Can I flag content for onboarding that I do not own?
No. You must be the site owner/author of the content in order to flag it for onboarding. If the app manager is not the owner of the content or the site owner, they cannot flag content for onboarding.
What's the difference between org and site onboarding content?
Org onboarding content shows for all new hires, and takes priority on the list of content for users to review. Site onboarding content is specific to a user based on their site membership. Therefore, not all new hires will see the same onboarding content.
How does Simpplr determine who is a new hire?
New hire users are configured based on their user syncing field 'Hire date'. If a user has a hire date of within the last 30 days, they'll be marked as a new hire. If the user in question does not have this syncing field filled out, or your org has not synced users with the Hire date field, you can always add a custom field for the new hires.
How can I ensure new hires are completing their onboarding content review?
Currently there is no way for app or site managers to review new hire onboarding completion rates, as this is not a task-based feature. To ensure a specific piece of content is read by users, we recommend making it a must read.
How long is onboarding content shown to new hires?
Onboarding content will remain on the list of content to review for 30 days after the hire date. After that, the content is removed from the new hire's list.
Can I opt out of this feature if I choose not to use it?
Yes. As of the Ida Minor Release 1 patch, App managers can go into Manage > Application > Privileges and scroll down to Onboarding to allow users permission to flag content as onboarding or not. Disabling Onboarding ensures no one can flag content for new hires. It's also worth noting in this section you can allow onboarding content to be flagged from all sites or only certain sites that you choose.
Is there a way to modify the Quick Start Tour text?
No. the Quick Start text shown to new hires cannot be modified.