Update remote site settings
Before your account can be integrated, the system admin has to update the remote site settings in Salesforce. To do so, follow the steps below.
1. Go to Salesforce > Setup > Installed Packages > Simpplr > Post Install Instructions. Click view.
2. Scroll down until you see Dropbox. Press Click here for each listed URL for Dropbox. Your remote site settings have now been updated.
Enable Dropbox on your app
To link Dropbox folders to a Simpplr Site, Dropbox must be integrated with the Site. To integrate Dropbox with a Site, follow the steps below:
1. In Simpplr, go to Manage> Manage application > Integrations > File Management.
- Check the Dropbox box.
3. You'll be prompted to sign into Dropbox with your admin account.
4. After signing in, click Allow to grant Simpplr access to team information.
- Click Save. Dropbox is now connected to your app.
Updates to your service account
Application root folder
When Dropbox has been enabled on your app, an application root folder will automatically be created in Dropbox’s service account.
- The folder’s name is [*app name*] root.
- The folder will only be accessible through Dropbox’s service account.
- The folder is used to define search parameters when searching for Dropbox files and folders that are linked to Simpplr.
When Dropbox has been enabled on your app, an all-company group will automatically be created in Dropbox’s service account.
- Like the root folder, this is also used to define search parameters when searching for Dropbox files and folders that are linked to Simpplr.
- When users are connected to Dropbox, they’re automatically added to the all-company group, and can access Dropbox files and folders that have been linked or added to public sites.
- To access the Dropbox files and folders that have been linked or added to private sites, the user must be a member of the private site and must be a member of the all-company group.
Enable Dropbox for a user
To access Dropbox files, it has to be enabled on a user’s account. To enable Dropbox for a user, follow the steps below:
- Go to Settings > External Apps.
2. Next to Dropbox, click connect account and enter your credentials. Click Allow to give Simpplr access to your Dropbox account.
Select Dropbox folders as site storage
To link Dropbox folders to a Site where Dropbox has been integrated, you must select Dropbox as the Site’s file storage. To do so, follow the steps below:
Note: Only a Site Owner can adjust file storage for a Site. If you can’t see the below options, you may not be the Site Owner.
1. In your Simpplr Site, go to Manage Site > Setup > External Files.
2. In the dropdown, select Dropbox and choose the permissions for the root folder. Read only means users can’t make edits to files. Read and write means users can edit the files, and won’t have access to the Dropbox Files folder in the site’s Files tab. You can only select one storage option per Site.
Create new Dropbox folder
Once Dropbox has been selected as file storage for a site, a folder named Dropbox Files will be automatically created in the Files tab. To add more folders to your site, follow the steps below:
1. In your Simpplr site, go to Files.
2. Click on the Dropbox files folder.
3. Click New Dropbox Folder. If you create a new folder inside another folder, the permissions will be inherited from the parent folder.
Using Dropbox files and folders
To view the files connected to your Simpplr site, go to Files.
In Files, you’ll see your site’s folders. Click a folder to view its files. The Dropbox folders you've connected will also be listed here.
Add files to content
You can use the File Manager to add Dropbox files to your content.
- Dropbox files can be added to Content if the Site is connected to Dropbox and the user is connected to Dropbox.
- Sites which have linked Dropbox folders will be shown in the File Manager listing.
Add files to feed posts
Via File Manager, any Dropbox files accessible to the user can be added to Feed Posts from within the linked folder. When attaching a Dropbox file in Feed (including Home Feed), the search results will be returned from the linked folders only on the basis of Access Management configuration, and will include all Dropbox files that are linked in Simpplr.
You can remove attached files by going to the Content Details screen and clicking the X next to the file.
Under the site search bar, you’ll see the option to drop in files or Select from your computer. Here, you can drop files you’d like to upload to the site.
If you click Select from your computer, you’ll be prompted to search your computer for the file you want, and click Open to upload.
Under Options, each file has a dropdown. Here you can interact with the file in several different ways, like downloading the file, sharing it, or (if applicable) viewing the file in Dropbox.
Note: If you click New version, it’s strongly recommended that you keep the same file type for the new version of the file. Changing the file type in a new version may alter the look and formatting of the file.
You can also move files between folders.
File details screen
Clicking on a file in a post or in the Files tab of your site will bring you to the File Details screen.
This screen gives you many of the same options as the Options dropdown in the Files tab. You can:
- Like the file
- Favorite it
- Share it
- You can share files with public and private sites. If you share a file to a private site, it will only be shared to the feed of that private site. If you share it with a public site, you’ll have three sharing options:
- A user
- Another site
- (if applicable) view the file in Dropbox
- Version history
- Add new version
- Download it
Note: The share option in the file options menu and file details page will be hidden if feed mode is not set to Timeline, comments on content and feed posts. Also, if you are no longer allowed access to a file in the Dropbox, you’ll get a 404 when clicking on a file and routing to File Details.
Search for files
You can search for files using the search bar in the top left. Search results will include files contained in pages, files uploaded to a Simpplr site, and files linked to a Simpplr site from file storage.
Files in your feed
You can open and download files directly from pages in your feed, if the page has a file attached. If Dropbox is integrated on the app level, you’ll need to make sure that it's connected to your account before you can access the file.
You’ll get results from all sites you have access to and can upload those files.
You can attach files from any file storage account integrated with your org.
Adding files to content
You can add files to pages, events, albums, and blogs.
When searching for files or attachments to add, your search results will include content you have access to.
Changing site ownership
If a site’s owner or manager leaves your company, the site’s files will be unchanged. Ownership of the files in the file storage account will need to be given to another user (by the site owner or admin), as long as that user is connected to the same storage account (like Google Drive). The new site owner will be given the root folder in their storage account, including the sub-folders contained in the root folder. If the new owner isn’t connected to the same file storage software, the original owner will receive a warning. They must choose another user, or the new designated owner must connect their account to the file storage software.