Pages are pieces of content that populate your users' home and site feeds. They can contain multimedia information, including (but not limited to) files and images. Pages are the most common form of communication on sites and throughout the greater intranet. Using our proprietary algorithm, Simpplr estimates the time it takes to read a piece of content. Read time (e.g. 2 minutes) is visible just below the content author's name. Note that 'time to read' is only compatible with content posted after the feature was released. Legacy content posted before time to read was released will not reflect the feature.
Page as seen in the site feed
opening the page, with 'time to read' shown
Add a page
To add a Page, click on the + icon next to the notification bell in the top right, select Page as the content type, and click Add. Note you're also able to add a page template if you'd like. For more on page templates, click here.
Page creation flow
- Add a title to your page. Make sure this is something that gives a good idea of what to expect in the page. It should contain searchable keywords for your users to easily find.
- Upload a cover image. The recommended image size is 1088 x 612 px (and a minimum of 664 x 373.5 px).
Crop and resize it appropriately for the cover (widescreen) and thumbnail (square). The options presented here allow you to set a:
- Minimum height
- Minimum width
- Aspect ratio
By default all these options are set, so the image cropper can be resized until a minimum width and height are set with maintaining the aspect ratio.
If minimum width is unselected - The image cropper can be resized maintaining a minimum height respecting the aspect ratio
If minimum height is unselected - The image cropper can be resized maintaining a minimum width respecting the aspect ratio
If both minimum height and width are unselected - The image cropper can be resized respecting the aspect ratio without any minimum height and width
If all three options are unselected - The image cropper can be resized without any restriction, and you can select any shape or size of the image
If all three options are selected - The image cropper can be resized with a minimum height and width, and by maintaining the aspect ratio
- Once you have your image cropped the way you want, click Next.
- Depending on the size and aspect ratio you chose, you'll be given the option to add backfill to the cropped image. This screen allows you to fill the backgrounds, or unused portions of the image space. Background fill appears when your cropped section of the image is below 16:9 and 1:1 ratio, and if the image is less than the recommended 1088x612 px.
Background fill options:
Blurry background of the same image - This will fill in the blurred parts of the same image
Brand colors - Corporate brand colors
Custom color option - Any custom color option you'd like
- Select one of the cover image layout options. The layout allows you to choose different sizes of the cover image to show up on the page. Click on each layout to see a preview of what the layout will look like.
- Type your content in the Add content... field. You can also carry over content from a document in another location if needed. The formatting will automatically carry over. Your content editor contains a number of options to help format your content, including the Writing assistant tool, an AI-powered content generator.
- Add files, which can be from local drive, your intranet, or a file storage integration such as SharePoint or Google MyDrive. Files will appear as attachments below the page content.
- Select the page type. Knowledge content is evergreen content that should always be kept up to date. When you select Knowledge, your page will go into our Auto-Governance engine and will prompt you to review and validate at a cadence set by your Intranet manager. News is for content that will naturally become out of date. Best practice is to schedule a time to unpublish the page.
Note:If a page is unpublished for any reason, then republished, this resets the page's validation period. Simply editing a page does not reset the validation period.
- Select a page category. You can click on the dropdown arrow to see all the categories that are already created. You can also create a new category by entering a category name.
- Add relevant topics to make your page easily searchable and to connect your content across the intranet.
- Choose to publish immediately or from a specific date and time. This date can be in the past or future. Select how long you would like to publish the page. You can select Indefinitely, which will leave the page active until manually Unpublished, or to publish for 3 months, 6 months or until a specified date.
- Choose whether or not to maximize content width. Enable this feature if you need to use a wider width for your page. The maximum width is 1088px.
- Add a summary. The summary appears below the title on the pages tab.
- Check/uncheck Allow comments and Allow questions. Allowing comments will add a feed at the bottom of the page for users to add comments. Allowing questions will allow users to use the Q&A feature on the content. These options are both governed at the Site management level.
- Click Publish or Submit for approval, depending on your user role. If you are the Site manager/owner or a Content manager, your page will appear right away. If you are not the Site manager/owner or Content manager, you will be notified of the approval status once the Site manager reviews and approves the content.
You can also click Save draft and continue to work on the draft later.