What is Simpplr Video?
As a premium feature, videos can easily be added from any device. Videos are managed and played directly in Simpplr.
- Add videos to pages, albums, events, and blogs
- Add videos to home or site feeds
- Video transcripts
- Search for videos
- Video details screen
- Simpplr Video analytics
- Videos in site folders
- Enable Simpplr Video
Videos can be added to pages, albums, events, and blogs. They can be uploaded to any content post or reply. You can also add a description to your video.
- To upload a video to your content, click the camera icon in the toolbar to add it to the content body, or you can upload the video as an attachment.
- If you'd like to add a video to an album while publishing, click select from computer. If the album's already published, click add to album. You can also make videos the cover image of your album.
uploading a video to content body
attaching a video to content
uploading a video to an album
adding a video to an album after it's published
adding a video to a comment
Videos can be added to home or site feeds through posts and replies. You can select and upload multiple videos.
video upload on a feed post
adding a video to a reply
Upload videos in image and video tile
Users can also upload videos from the Image and Video tile in the home dashboard.
adding a video via image & video tile
You can view the transcript of a video by clicking video details. If upgrading your version of Simpplr, all video transcripts stored on Simpplr prior to the upgrade will be saved, and videos that don’t have transcripts will have new transcripts automatically generated.
Click the CC icon at the bottom of the video player to activate closed captions and see captions for the video.
Automatic transcript generation
When any video is uploaded to the feed, content, site files, or tiles, a transcript will be generated and stored with the video, and can be viewed while the video plays. The language of the video’s captions will match the default language of the uploader’s user profile. If other is selected for language, no transcript will be generated. You can change the video language from the video detail screen, and the captions/transcripts will be generated in the newly selected language.
You can use search from anywhere in the intranet to find text in a video’s transcript, and the corresponding video will be found in the search results.
You can search for videos by title, description, or transcript. Type your search into the Global search bar, and you'll see your video results under the Videos tab in grid view.
Auto-complete suggestions will be shown when searching for video content, as well as videos you’ve recently searched for. Search results will show the number of video captions the search keywords were found in, as well as which site the video is uploaded to.
video search results
Clicking video details will take you to the video details screen, where you can see the video’s:
- File type
- Date uploaded
Edit video details
Clicking edit next to details lets a user with requisite file permissions edit the video’s name, description, and language. If a new language is selected for the video, a new transcript in that language will automatically be generated.
Simpplr video also comes with app-level analytics on your video content. Analytics include:
- most viewed videos
- least viewed
- total viewers (of all videos)
- total videos played
- total video views (of all videos)
- total watch time (of all videos)
app-level video analytics
Simpplr Video introduces the Site videos folder and several new sub-folders for storing site videos. If Simpplr Video is enabled, your sites have three default folders:
- Content files
- Feed files
- Site videos
1. The Content files folder has three sub-folders:
- Images. Any images added as a cover image, in the content body, or as an attachment will be saved in the content images subfolder.
- Files. Any attached files will be saved to the files subfolder.
- Videos. Only visible if you have Simpplr video enabled. Any videos added to the content body or attached to content will be saved to the videos subfolder.
2. The Feed files folder also has three sub-folders:
- Images. Any images added to the feed will be saved in the images subfolder.
- Files. Any files added to the feed will be saved to the files subfolder.
- Videos. Only visible if you have Simpplr video enabled. Any videos added to the feed will be saved to the videos subfolder. This folder can only contain videos.
3. The Site videos folder is visible after enabling Simpplr Video on your platform.
- Videos uploaded in a site's Files section will be saved in the Site videos folder.
- Videos uploaded in any of a site's custom folders will instead be saved in the Site videos folder.
- Videos can be saved directly in the Site videos folder.
- Users with requisite permissions can create custom folders within the Site videos folder.
site's Files section, where videos can be uploaded directly to site
Adding videos to custom folders
You cannot add videos to custom folders. Adding a video to a custom folder will display a prompt that the video is saved to the Site videos folder instead. Any videos uploaded to a site outside of the site content or site feed will be saved to Site videos folder.
default folders in a site with Simpplr Video enabled
With a click of a button, Simpplr Video users can record video directly from their browser without additional software, and share it directly into the feed or add it to content.
Recording in feed
Launch the recorder from the feed and attach the recording directly to posts, comments, and replies. This can be done in:
- Feed posts/comments
- Feed replies
Recording in content (pages, events, albums, and blogs)
Launch the recorder from the content add/edit screen and attach the recording directly to the content body or add it to the album. This can be done in:
- Content body and attachment
How to record a video
1. Launch recorder.
2. Wait for recording countdown.
3. Recording is live.
4. Recording is complete.
Once recording is complete, you can:
- Play the recording
- Edit the default recording name
- Download the recording to the computer
- Discard the current recording and re-record
- Add video to feed or content
Updated file upload permissions
App managers can manage video recording permissions for site owners and managers. To do so, go to Manage Application > Governance > File upload permissions.
Simpplr native Video is a paid add-on to your Simpplr subscription, and must be enabled at the application level by Simpplr. Contact your CSM for more information regarding pricing and enablement.
What is the maximum file size I can upload?
Which video formats are supported?
Ingest (Input) File Formats and Codecs
When uploading video to Simpplr Video, please note the video formats and codecs below have been tested and optimized for optimal transcoding input.
The Maximum Video Frame Size is 5000 x 5000.
Media File Formats
Mpeg-4 and QuickTime Formats (MP4, MOV, QT, and M4V), Flash Video (FLV and F4V), Microsoft Windows Formats (AVI, ASF, WMV and WMA), MPEG-1/2 (MPG, M1V, M2V, MP3), WAV, Matroska (MKV), OGG OGM & OGV, WEBM, 3GP, RM, Webex (ARF), MXF
DivX (Div3/4/5, DX50), DV, H.263, H.264 and AVC,H.265, MPEG-4 Visual, MPEG-1/2, MJPG, MP42/3, IV40/50 (Indeo codecs), RV30/40, RMVB, FLV1/4, VP3/5/6/7/8/9, Sorenson (SVQ1/3), Xvid, Theora, WMV1/2/3, VC1, ProRes 422, ICOD, DVCPRO, PXLT, TCSS/TCS2, GoToMeeting Codec (G2M3/4)
MP3, MP1/2, AC3, EAC3, AAC, Vorbis, AMR, PCM, WMA7/8/9, WMSpeech, FLAC, QDM2, RA, Nellymoser, Cook, GSM, SPEEX
Supported File Extensions
The following file extension are supported:
flv, asf, qt ,mov, mpg ,mpeg, avi, wmv, mp4, m4v, 3gp, vob, f4v, mkv, mxf, mts, ts, rm, arf, webm, lxf, m4v
How fast can video be uploaded?
With a 10 mbps connection, a 5 MB video should ideally take 6-15 seconds. Be aware that larger video files will take longer to upload.
Can video be downloaded on mobile?
No, only on web.
Where are the video files stored and hosted?
Videos are stored and organized in the folder “Files” within your intranet. Videos are hosted and secured at Kaltura. As for the hosting service, Simpplr partners with Kaltura’s enterprise solution for corporate communication, and is using Kaltura’s video technology to provide and host all native video capabilities.